Photo: Kurhan (Shutterstock)
Hot tubs are great when it’s cold outside, but when the outside temperature and humidity start to rise, braising in bubbly hot water doesn’t seem very attractive. Fortunately, there is something you can do about it. In an article for hunkers, Michelle Miley explains how to cool your chilled hot tub and then service it – or should we say your new cool plunge pool. Here’s what you should know.
This is how you cool a hot tub
To convert your hot tub into a refreshing plunge pool, here’s what you need to do: according to Miley:
- Turn down the heat, either set your thermostat to 85 degrees or below, or turn off the heat completely.
- Find a way to ventilate the hot tub. If it’s not in direct sunlight, just open the top. If so, place a pool noodle or tennis ball under each corner of the cover to allow the heat to escape.
- Either wait for the water to drop in temperature on its own or, if you want to speed up the process, drain some water and replace it with cold water from a garden hose.
- If you add cold water from the hose, adjust the chemicals in the hot tub accordingly.
- Run the jets in the tub to add cool air to the water and lower the temperature faster. This works faster when the sun has set.
How to keep a hot tub cool in summer
Once the hot tub has reached your preferred temperature, you’ll want to keep it that way. Miley suggests Fill a couple of empty milk jugs or other plastic containers with water and freeze them, then place them in the hot tub like giant ice cubes as needed.
G / O Media can receive a commission
Another option is to buy a whirlpool chiller, which most manufacturers now offer as an option. But unless you’re trying to reach a temperature cold enough to be therapeutic (as athletes would use), you can likely keep your tub cool enough without a cooler. Miley adds.
The good news is that the hot tub’s insulation works both ways – the water stays cool in summer and warm in winter. This is especially effective if you put the cover on when you are not using your new plunge pool.