The BBC is expected to pay £ 1.5million in “debt” to redress the Martin Bashir scandal, it was reported last night.

The money from the donation will go to a royal family charity, claims The Mail on Sunday.

6th

Martin Bashir pretty much the BBC this MayPhoto credit: PA

6th

The donation includes £ 1.15 million of the amount Beeb made from selling the rights to the bomb interviewImage credit: pixel8000Current chief executive officer Tim Davie is believed to believe the donations may put an end to the Bashir interview

6th

Current chief executive officer Tim Davie is believed to believe the donations may put an end to the Bashir interviewPhoto credit: PA

The donation will include the money the company made from selling the global rights to Bashir’s 1995 bomb interview.

An investigation by Lord Dyson in May found that the journalist had used “fraudulent methods” to obtain the interview, and that there had been a “pathetically ineffective” internal investigation.

The damning investigation revealed that the “rogue reporter” Bashir forged bank statements and spun nasty stories to gain the trust of the vulnerable princess.

An independent investigation by former Judge Lord Dyson concluded that then-BBC News and Updates boss Lord Tony Hall and other executives whitewashed concerns about how Bashir bagged the scoop in 1995.

This is an admirable decision, despite the fact that it obviously cannot undo the damage done

Rosa Monckton

He commissioned fake bank statements to convince them that MI5 officials and the media were being paid to provide information about them.

Royal sources are believed to be involved in deciding how the BBC’s money will be spent.

It is funded by BBC Studios, the company’s non-taxpayer-funded commercial trading arm.

Diana’s close friend Rosa Monckton said last night: “This is an admirable decision, despite the fact that it obviously cannot undo the damage done or obliterate the BBC’s guilt.”

The decision to donate the money comes amid discussions initiated by the Duke of Cambridge, the BBC and palace bosses, claims The Mail on Sunday.

“DRAW A LINE UNDER THE AFFAIR”

It is understood that the donation idea was first suggested by Diana’s brother Earl Spencer, who said that some of the BBC’s money should go to Diana’s charities.

William is reportedly keen to continue the investigation and “see what comes of it”.

Current CEO Tim Davie, however, believes the donations could put an end to the whole affair.

He reportedly sent letters of unconditional apology to the Queen, Charles, William, Harry and Earl Spencer.

The letter allegedly contains the admission that “Martin Bashir used lies and forged documents to gain access to the princess” and that he “made a number of lurid and untrue claims”.

It comes after graphic artist Matt Wiessler, who whistled for Martin Bashir’s fraud to secure the interview, is reported to have received £ 750,000 in compensation from the BBC.

The BBC and Kensington Palace declined to reply.

Prince Charles, Prince William and Harry are said to have all received letters of apology from Tim Davie

6th

Prince Charles, Prince William and Harry are said to have all received letters of apology from Tim DavieImage Credit: Getty – ContributorBashir's 1995 interview shocked the world

6th

Bashir’s 1995 interview shocked the worldPhoto credit: BBCLord Dyson's report revealed that Bashir had fabricated information to “fool” Diana into agreeing to a conversation.

6th

Lord Dyson’s report revealed that Bashir had fabricated information to “fool” Diana into agreeing to a conversation.Photo credit: BBC